Skip to main content

Weekend Fun - Fair and Zoo

I am trying to get back on track with posts and blogging. For now I'm working forward, but need to work backward at some point to document the summer.

After work on Friday, Tina, three of her nieces, me and my niece AJ, Lisa, and Linda headed to the State Fair. Unfortunately I forgot my camera to document it. We started with the equestrian show, watched the lemon shark and nurse sharks, looked at some vending booths, ate a hot dog (or just the bun in AJ's case). We saw and petted sheep, goats, cows, pigs, and rabbits.

The world's tiniest horse was pretty cool, but probably about the same size as a normal shetland pony. The vantage had from walking up around the horse made it seem smaller though. Al the alligator was pretty cool. AJ was nervous he would eat her until Tina pointed out the glass and bars between him and us. I also reassured her that if Al tried to eat her I'd protect her and let him eat me first. What does it say that that put her at ease?

AJ didn't want anyone driving up to the Fair with us; she was extremely definite about that. We don't always get what we want when we want it. Especially when we are three. Lisa and Linda rode with us. On the way home AJ invited them to come over some time to read stories. Pretty cute!

We got a later start than we had planned, parking was crazy-crowded (due to the Boys 2 Men concert) and we ended up out way too late--but we had a great time and saw a lot of fun things.

Saturday, Linda (green), Daphne (purple), Lisa (pink) and I decided to head to Hogle Zoo to celebrate Lisa's birthday. And I remembered my camera! We headed up around noon and spent the day wandering the park. The zoo was alive with extra life: baby elephant, baby tigers, baby giraffe, baby snow leopards (in the picture you can't see them very well for the grass). The weather was gorgeous. Blue sky and only soft fluffy clouds in sight. We brought parasols and umbrellas to keep out some of the heat.

Later we headed to the Red Iguana for dinner and then Daphne and I went dancing.

Animoto videos are a new found favorite because they compress multiple pictures and memories into limited space. People can watch or skip them easily. Don't worry. I'll get over the kick--eventually.

Baby elephant at Hogle Zoo


Zoo trip with the girls



Happy Birthday, Lisa!!!

Comments

Melinda said…
What a great time. We can't wait to see the baby animals too!
Rebecca said…
You make me want to take my kids to the zoo. Looks like tons of fun!!! I miss you!
Andrea B. said…
We were at the fair on Friday too!! But we left around 7:30. It sounds like you had a great time. I love the fair.

Popular posts from this blog

Memories

Oliver, I remember how small you were. How you whined and cried when you were left alone in your box/kennel while you were being house trained. I remember how you took to Cambridge, wanting to be with him everywhere. I remember sitting with the two of you, having structured together time; Cambridge was not fond of the new puppy and needed encouragement for patience, lessons on sharing, and reminders not to nip at the puppy. You hated going somewhere Cambridge did not go and wanted to go everywhere he did. You were always eager to love, ready for a pat on the head, playtime, offering a lick to the hand, even when I didn't put my best foot forward. Even when I scolded. What a small fluff you were. Loyal and anxious and mischievous. Wanting to climb into laps. Wanting more food, more time, more love. Always thinking you were still a puppy. Wanting to be the center of everything. Stealing toys just to steal them. Camping trips with you and Cambridge in the tent with me because I was wo...

Name Quest

My sister-in-law's sister is expecting her third baby. She and her husband have opted not to know the gender of this little one because they have a girl and a boy already. They want to try one the "old-fashioned" way. Maybe the surprise will be twins and they will have one of each... The trick is, they are trying to keep a naming pattern that I had already thought was pretty tricky, but only tonight realized a new dimension of its complexity. Their daughter is Ruth, and their son is Garreth. They would like to continue the "th" ending of the next baby's name. Tonight, my brother and sister-in-law also pointed out that their first child's name is one syllable, their second child's name is two syllables, and they would like their third child's name to have three syllables. (Maybe that is how Mahonri Moriancumer got such a long name....) That seemed nearly impossible to me at first, but was surprised at how many names do end in "th". Join...

A Day at the Zoo

Last Saturday, before the sudden cold snap, we took a family to the Hogle Zoo. The weather was perfect--not too hot, not too cold. The animals were out and about. The zoo wasn't too crowded, and we got to see them feed a penguin fish. RD loved the lizard his dad told him was a dinosaur. IC said she liked the zebras the best. In this picture, AL was a little nervous at first when the giraffe started to lower and tried to pull herself up the pole until she realized that the animal would rise up and sink down. Then, she was fine. She had a ball going around in circles and waving at everyone as we passed. The rest of my nieces and nephews who were old enough to care about riding on a carousel had ridden the turn before. What a fun day! Becca thanks for sharing this picture!